Rangitihi Marae is the heart of our iwi and the centre of our community in Matatā. It is the only marae of Ngāti Rangitihi.
Ko Rangiaohia te whare tupuna, ko Rakauheketara te whare kai, ko Rangitihi te Marae.
Prior to 1928, the Marae was located in Arawa Street and was known as Tionga Marae. However, in 1928 a tornado lifted up the ancestral meeting house and carried it to its present location on Marae Lane. That same year, the whare tupuna or ancestral house was named after Rangiaohia, one of the eponymous ancestor Rangitihi’s eight children.